The Liaison Office of the Council of Europe in Brussels has the mandate of conducting the responsibilities of the institution in Belgium within the proximity of other international institutions.
The Trainee is welcome as a true member of the Office's team. Under the supervision of the Head of Office, they work closely with the Deputy Head of Office, the Political Advisor, and with other colleagues. Around two to three additional interns are also working in the Delegation.
The tasks include inter alia:
- Participating in and reporting about conferences and events organised by various European institutions (e.g. the European Parliament, the Council, and the Commission) as well as other non-governmental and international organisations, especially the UN Offices and agencies and renowned think-tanks in Brussels;
- Following the debates in the Parliamentary Committees of Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, Human Rights and Gender Equality;
- Doing research and preparing files on priority matters of COE-EU relations, such as those mentioned above;
- Covering the main political developments within the EU, including insofar as they relate to matters also of interest to the COE, such as human rights and legal policies under the EU’s neighbourhood policies or enlargement policies, EU’s engagement on judicial and rule of law developments in specific countries, e.g. Ukraine;
- Contributing to the smooth functioning of the office by helping to prepare events hosted in the Office or other COE events organised in Brussels, including various types of tasks of preliminary research and documentation, as well as administrative and logistical tasks.
Criminal Law - General
European Constitutional Law - Advanced
Human Rights - Advanced
English - Good
French - Good
Knowledge of European affairs and international affairs is an advantage.
The Trainee shall be responsible for their insurance against sickness and accidents for the period of their Traineeship. The Trainee should have their own civil liability insurance.
Candidates who have already undertaken any kind of work experience within the Council of Europe is not eligible to apply for this position.
Graduate Bachelors who have completed their fourth year of studies may also apply for this Traineeship.